FAQs for skilled migration - Registered Nurse and Midwife


1. I am a Registered Nurse in Hong Kong, am I eligible to skilled migration to Australia?

Yes. Registered Nurse is a nominated occupation included in the Medium and Long-term Strategic Skills List (MLTSSL). As long as you fulfill the eligibility criteria, such as age, English language ability, health and character. You are able to apply for skilled migration. 

You may refer to skilled migration page for more details.  To assess your eligibility, please complete the free assessment online and our registered immigration professionals will contact you for your visa options.

2. How long does the migration process take?

The duration of the entire process, from registration to visa granted, typically lasts for around 9-18 months. It depends on various factors, such as the processing queue of the assessing bodies and  the Department of Home Affairs (DHA), visa type and the quality of the supporting documents provided.  Experience shows that most of the delay is due to the following reasons:

  • Submit the wrong documents
  • Insufficient documents
  • Pending for documents sent from third parties, such as police clearance and medical check.
  • Turnaround time for addressing the concern raised by the registration, assessment authorities and the DHA.

A case with all sufficient documents can be shortened the processing time as the respective authorities can decide right away.

This is the reason why intended migrants are strongly encouraged to engage a registered migration agent to assist and advise on the entire process. It can save you time, costs, and most importantly avoid the risks of being refused due to wrong information or documentation.

3. What are NMBA , AHPRA and ANMAC stand for?

Along your migration application pathway, you have to deal with these three organisations quite often. In fact, they are three different bodies which perform different roles. 

NMBA refers to Nursing and Midwifery Board of Australia. It undertakes the following:

  • Registering nursing and midwifery practitioners and students
  • Developing standards, codes and guidelines for the nursing and midwifery profession
  • Handling notifications, complaints, investigations and disciplinary hearings
  • Assessing overseas trained practitioners who wish to practise in Australia
  • Approving accreditation standards and accredited courses of study

AHPRA stands for The Australian Health Practitioner Regulation Agency. AHPRA conducts the assessment for registration on behalf of the NMBA.

The full name of ANMAC is Australian Nursing and Midwifery Accreditation Council. They serve as:

  • independent accrediting authority for nursing and midwifery education under Australia’s National Regulation and Accreditation Scheme
  • skills assessing authority for nurses and midwives wishing to migrate under the Australia Government’s General Skilled Migration program.

4. I am an overseas applicant, how can I certify the documents for AHPRA and ANMAC?

For applicant from overseas, the following people are authorised to certify documents:

  • Justice of the Peace
  • Notary public
  • Australian Consular Officer or Australian Diplomatic Officer

5. What are the English language requirement for migration? Are their requirement the same for registration and migration?

For initial registration and skilled assessment purpose:

  • Results from any one of the English tests below.
  • The test/s must not be taken over 2 years
  • No allowed to combine results from two different tests
Minimum requirement/s Combined result accepted? Conditions
(ACADEMIC paper only)
Score 7 in listening, reading, writing and speaking Yes ·      Maximum two test sittings within six-month period;

·      Min overall 7 in each sitting; AND

·      no score in any component of the test is below 6.5

OET for nurses Score B in listening, reading, writing and speaking. Yes ·      Maximum of two test sittings within a six-month period :

·      tested in all four components in each sitting

·      no score in any component of the test is below C

PTE (ACADEMIC only) Overall score of 65 AND Score of 65 in - listening, reading, writing and speaking. Yes ·      Maximum of two test sittings within a six-month period;

·       a minimum overall score of 65 in each sitting

·      no score in any of the four communicative skills is below 58

TOEFL iBT Total score of 94 and min score of each section:

24 – listening
24 – reading
27- writing
23 - speaking

Yes ·      maximum of two test sittings in a six-month period;

·      a minimum total score of 94 in each sitting; AND

·      no score in any of the sections is below:- 20 listening, 19 reading, 24 writing, 20 speaking

For Migration, point test 10 marks award to proficient English purpose:

  • Must take any one of the tests below, without any exemption
  • The test must be conducted in the 3 years immediately before the invitation date
  • Only OET results can use one or more tests, a single test is required for other tests. Score requirement is the same as the table listed above.


6. Do I need to register with NMBA before I can apply for skilled migration?

No. You can apply for skilled migration visa without registration with the NMBA. However, you may not be able to work as a nurse in Australia until you register with NMBA.

7. I have received the letter in principle approval for registration from NMBA, what shall I do next?

When you received the letter in principle approval for registration, you have to provide the detailed outstanding proof of identity in person to any one of the AHPRA offices within the three month period. Fail to do so will deem you withdraw you application.

Skills assessment and visa application

8. What is ANZSCO? How do I choose the code?

ANZSCO refers to Australian and New Zealand Standard Classification of Occupations which are codes applied to occupations for statistical purposes. These codes are used by the DHA in the skilled visa program, where it is a requirement for visa eligibility, as the standard by which a visa applicant’s skills to undertake a specific occupation in Australia are assessed.

Currently, there are 15 codes for Registered Nurse or Midwife:

  • 254111 Midwife
  • 254411 Nurse Practitioner
  • 254412 Registered Nurse (Aged Care)
  • 254413 Registered Nurse (Child and Family Health)
  • 254414 Registered Nurse (Community Health)
  • 254415 Registered Nurse (Critical Care and Emergency)
  • 254416 Registered Nurse (Developmental Disability)
  • 254417 Registered Nurse (Disability and Rehabilitation)
  • 254418 Registered Nurse (Medical)
  • 254421 Registered Nurse (Medical Practice)
  • 254422 Registered Nurse (Mental Health)
  • 254423 Registered Nurse (Perioperative)
  • 254424 Registered Nurse (Surgical)
  • 254425 Registered Nurse (Paediatrics)
  • 254499 Registered Nurse (NEC = Not Elsewhere Classified)

You should choose the one reflect your work experience and, generally, your most recent area of work experience.  If you do not have work experience, you should select the 254499 Registered Nurse (nec) code.

The details description of each ANZSCO code can be found on Australian Bureau of Statistics website.

9. Who should be my referees for skills assessment purpose?

For such a purpose, you should choose the person who directly managed or supervised you. This person must be a nurse or a midwife.

10. Which assessment should I choose?

It depends on whether you have registered with the NMBA.

If you are currently registered as a nurse with the NMBA or Nursing Council of New Zealand, you qualify for a modified skills assessment.

If you are not registered in Australia as a registered nurse or a registered midwife but hold a current letter of 'Notice of in principle approval of registration subject to proof of identity' from the AHPRA you qualify for a Modified PLUS Skills Assessment. 

If you hold registration as a nurse or midwife in another country and have a minimum qualification of a Bachelor Degree you may qualify for a full skills assessment.



Important note: The frequently asked questions above are intended for general information only . This information should not be relied upon as a substitute for formal consultation. We encourage you to book a free assessment with us before submitting your application.