This policy does not apply to personal information collected by FortuneChance that is exempted under the Privacy Act.
2. Personal information we collect
The types of personal information we collect include:
- names, contact and address, telephone numbers and email addresses;
- information in identification documents (for example, passport, national identify card);
- date of birth, gender and relationship status;
- educational qualifications, employment history and referee reference letters;
- visa or work permit status;
- your Internet Protocol (IP) address; and
- personal information about your parents, siblings, spouse and dependants.
It may be necessary in some circumstances for us to collect sensitive information about you to provide specific services. Examples of the types of sensitive information that may be collected in such circumstances include financial status, salaries, criminal record and health information.
Due to the nature of our business, it is generally not practical for us to deal with you on an anonymous basis or using a pseudonym.
3. How we collect and handle personal information
We collect most personal information from you directly. For example, when we deal with you in person or over the phone, when you send us correspondence (including via email), when you complete a questionnaire, form or survey, when you subscribe to our publications or when you use our website, client portal or our social media. In addition, we may also collect personal information about you from your use of our website through contact mail or assessment form on our website.
We store and take security measures to protect the personal information we hold in hard copy and electronic formats. For example, our client portal is protected with encryption, such as Secured Socket Layer (SSL) protocol, during transmission over the Internet. Document retention policies are also in place.
4. Use and disclosure of personal information
The main purposes for which we collect, hold and use personal information are:
- to provide professional services;
- to respond to requests or queries;
- to maintain contact with our clients and other contacts (including prospects), and keep them informed of our services, migration law developments, seminars and events organised by us;
- for administrative purposes, including invoicing and account management;
- for seeking your feedback;
- to meet any regulatory obligations;
- to perform internal statistical analysis, including of our databases and website; and
- other purposes related to our business.
If you do not provide us with the personal information we have requested, we may not be able to complete or fulfil the purpose for which such information was collected, including providing you or our clients with the services we were engaged to perform.
The types of third parties to whom we may disclose your personal information include:
- experts or other third parties contracted as part of an engagement;
- our agents, contractors and external service providers;
- our professional advisers; and
- government or regulatory bodies or assessing authorities, as part of an engagement or otherwise, (for example, the Department of Immigration and Border Protection).
We may share non-personal, de-identified and aggregated information for research or promotional purposes. Except as set out in this policy, we will never sell to or trade personal information with third parties.
5. Privacy on our website
This policy also applies to any personal information we collect via our website, fortunechance.com.au. In order to properly manage our website, we may log certain statistics about the users of the facilities, for example the users' domains and browser types. None of this information specifically identifies an individual and it is used solely to ensure that our websites and applications present the best possible navigational experience for users.
5.1 Cookies and web beacons
Cookies may be placed on your computer or internet-enabled device whenever you visit our website. This allows the site to remember your computer or device and serves a number of purposes. Although most browsers automatically accept cookies, you can choose whether or not to accept cookies via your browser's settings. You may also delete cookies from your device at any time. In most cases, you can refuse a cookie and still fully navigate our website.
A web beacon is a clear picture file used to keep track of your navigation through a website. Along with cookies, web beacons help us to track the effectiveness of third party web sites that provide us with recruiting or marketing services or to gather aggregate visitor statistics and manage cookies. We do not use this technology to access your personal information.
5.2 Blog and other social media
Our website hosts blog and other social media applications or services that allow you to share content with other users (collectively ‘social media applications’). Any personal information that you provide via such social media applications may be collected and used by other members of that social media application and such interactions are governed by the privacy policies of the companies that provide the application. We do not have control over, or responsibility for, those companies or their use of your information.
5.3 Links to third parties’ websites
We are not responsible for the privacy practices or policies of those sites. Also, we do not endorse, approve, recommend or advertise the services or products provided on third parties’ websites.
6. Access to information
You can request access to your personal information. Such request must be made in writing to us via email to email@example.com or post to our postal address. We may request an administrative fee to cover the cost of access to your personal information.
7. Corrections and concern
If you believe that information we hold about you is incorrect or out of date, or if you have concerns about how we are handling your personal information, please contact us via the methods describe in section 6 and we will try to resolve those concerns.
8. Review and effect of this policy
We may modify or amend this policy from time to time and we will publish the latest version on this website.
FortuneChance Migration Advisory
The policy was last updated in September 2017